St. Ignatius Chesterton Academy juniors and seniors have the opportunity to earn college credits in theology and philosophy through Franciscan Advantage. Franciscan Advantage is a partnership between Chesterton Schools Network and Franciscan University of Steubenville that allows students earn credit by taking designated high school theology and philosophy courses that are aligned with the university’s curriculum and successfully completing college-level examinations.
This first-of-its-kind collaboration between the Chesterton Schools Network, which St. Ignatius is a member of, and Franciscan University serves the intellectual and spiritual needs of students, families, and communities while simultaneously ensuring affordable Catholic education.
Monday, August 8, 6-7 p.m
St. Paul Miki Room, St. Ignatius Chesterton Academy (220 Doty St., Kaukauna)
All students, parents, and families, regardless of grade level, are welcome to this informational night to learn more and ask questions about Franciscan Advantage.
What is Franciscan Advantage?
- Franciscan Advantage allows qualified St. Ignatius Chesterton Academy students to enroll in Franciscan University courses that align with their existing St. Ignatius Chesterton Academy curriculum in philosophy and theology prior to high school graduation.
What are eligibility requirements?
- Students must be at least 16 years old and in their junior or senior year at St. Ignatius Chesterton Academy.
- Possess a cumulative 2.4 GPA or higher (on a 4.0 scale.)
- Receive recommendation from St. Ignatius Chesterton Academy.
What courses are taught, who teaches the courses, and when will they be taught?
- St. Ignatius Chesterton Academy teachers teach the Chesterton courses that align with Franciscan University courses.
- Theology 11 aligns with Foundations of Catholicism
- Theology 12 aligns with Christian Moral Principles
- Philosophy 11 aligns with Metaphysics
- Philosophy 12 aligns with Philosophy of the Human Person
- St. Ignatius Chesterton Academy students concurrently enroll in a Franciscan Advantage course and complete Franciscan University assessments.
- Courses are taught at St. Ignatius Chesterton Academy during the normal school day.
- Direct instruction between students and Franciscan University faculty is limited.
How is student learning evaluated?
- Students earn a grade for their high school course and credits, reflected on their high school transcript.
- Students will also take a Franciscan University mid-term exam and final exam, which will be administered at St. Ignatius Chesterton Academy through the University’s online learning management system during a normal school day, to earn the college credits. Study guides will be provided each semester.
What is the cost?
- Course tuition is $100 per credit hour ($300 per 3-credit course) for the 2022-23 school year. This will be billed directly by Franciscan University, and payment plans are available.
How many credits can a student earn?
- In the program’s first year (2022-23 school year,) St. Ignatius students may earn up to 6 credits through Franciscan University. This agreement could expand across additional disciplines in future years.
Where can students use these college credits?
- Credits earned are immediately applied at Franciscan University. In many cases, credits earned are transferable to other colleges and universities. Each college or university has its own policies regarding transfer of credits. Students may request a transcript with grades and credits earned.
Are there other Franciscan Advantage benefits for students?
- Students enrolled in this partnership can also take part in Franciscan Life Online, which provides opportunities for community and faith formation through virtual events such as small group meetings, Rosary, and live-streamed lectures.
- Students who enroll, successfully complete, and earn credit through Franciscan Advantage will be eligible for a Chesterton graduate-specific scholarship (up to $2,000/year) at Franciscan University if the student chooses to enroll there for college.
What are the deadlines for enrollment and course completion?
- Enrollment must be completed no later than September 15, 2022. All Franciscan Advantage coursework must be completed no later than May 31, 2023. Enroll at franciscan.edu/advantage.
St. Ignatius contact: Nancy Vande Hey, [email protected]
Franciscan University contact: Tom Constello, [email protected]